July 5, 2011

Learn More About Detective Mike Hedley!

It is not easy to be a police detective and Detective Mike Hedley has worked some of the most difficult crimes in our recent history - from homicides to sexual assaults. But every day he and the team in Investigations work these high-profile cases and even some that fall off of the public's radar. Detective Hedley has been part of the team continuing to work cases like the Pogonip Jane case; ensuring that these cases receive closure. We sat down to ask him a few questions.

Tell us about your favorite TV shows and movies

Detective Hedley: I don’t watch much TV, so I don’t have a favorite show, but I do appreciate movies.  My top 5 are the original Star Wars, V for Vendetta, Gladiator, Braveheart, and LA Confidential.

On to sports. Giants or A's? 49ers or Raiders? Why?  

Detective Hedley: I grew up a fan of both the Giants and A’s, but if I am watching them play each other, I go for whoever is the home team.  I’m not a huge football fan, but since the Raiders were always back and forth when I was growing up, I’d say I consider the 49ers my home team.

 Ford or Chevy?

Detective Hedley: Chevy.  It’s the brand I grew up with. I bought my first car when I was 15, and my second when I was 16, both were Camaros.  I still have the 1967 camaro I bought when I was 16.

 What  is your most memorable case and/or arrest? 

Detective Hedley: In the late 90’s I was working patrol when a victim called reporting a sexual assault that had just occurred.  The suspect had broken into a young woman’s home during the night and assaulted her.  The victim did a great job of staying calm, calling as soon as he was leaving, and gave a great description of him.  Because of her, I spotted him a few blocks away and arrested him.  He was convicted and sentenced to 30 years.

Tell us a little about your background including other jobs you’ve held and your hobbies

Detective Hedley: I grew up in Newark and went to college at Ohlone College in Fremont.  I began working at a Burger King as soon as I turned 15, then I spent 5 years working at an auto parts store in Fremont, before joining SCPD.  I come from a family where most of the men were either in the military or police.  I have always been into car racing and used to compete at the amateur level. I also enjoy boating and jet skiing.