September 14, 2011

Get to Know Sgt. Jack McPhillips!

Today we sat down with Sgt. Jack McPhillips to see if we can get inside the man behind the Professional Standards Unit. After a few questions we learned there is less mystery than The Wire would lead us to believe. Sgt. McPhillips is a state-recognized leader in traffic safety and accident investigations, a big believer in community-oriented policing and has recently joined the Professional Standards Unit. Here are a few questions so you can get to know him better!



As baseball season winds down and football season starts what is your favorite football team?

Sgt. McPhillips.  I don’t follow football.  Giants, Giants, Giants!

What is your favorite thing about working for Santa Cruz Police?

Sgt. McPhillips: Every day that I come to work at Santa Cruz Police Department there is something new and interesting occurring. It is true, every day is a new day at Santa Cruz Police Department.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

Sgt. McPhillips: I am most proud of being able to balance my work schedule with my family time and being able to juggle both.


When you're not hanging out at the PD where do you like to vacation?

Sgt. McPhillips: Kauai, Hawaii

Tell the world about your background...

Sgt. McPhillips: I was born in Lemoore, California (Lemoore Naval Air Station) and raised in Santa Clara/San Jose. I started at Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office 1986, Santa Cruz PD in 1989 and have held a number of positions here at the department. I have worked in Detention (For the Santa Clara Sheriff's Office), Patrol, Traffic, Downtown Unit (DTU) and Investigations. I was promoted to Sergeant in 2000, and in this capacity I worked Patrol, Traffic, DTU, Training and Professional Standards.