Criminals target catalytic converters to strip them of metals for quick cash. The price of certain precious metals found in catalytic converters rose significantly, starting in 2019. This car part can take as little as one minute to remove and only require a wrench to complete the theft.
To protect your self against this type of theft (which can cost upwards of $2,000-$3,000 to replace/repair), consider these tips:
• Park your cars in a garage.
• Park under lights in areas where passers-by will most easily see your vehicle.
• Calibrate your car's alarm to set off when it detects vibration
• If your catalytic converter is a "bolt-on" model, you can have the bolts welded shut and have extra metal welded to the exhaust system.
• Install a catalytic converter protection device that will clamp around the converter.
• Etch your converter with your vehicle's license plate number in several different locations. It will help the police track your stolen property.
If you are a victim of catalytic converter theft, file a police report immediately after the theft is discovered.
If you have any information related to these cases, contact SCPD Investigations (831) 420-5820. Anonymous callers use (831) 420 -5995