June 4, 2011

Get to Know Detective Elizabeth Butler!

Today we spent some time with Detective Elizabeth Butler. Here are a few questions so you can get to know one of your great detectives better! 

Tell us a little about your background.
Detective Butler: I grew up in Los Angeles and moved to Santa Cruz in 1992 to attend UCSC.  I graduated from UCSC as a Community Studies major and completed my field work locally in Santa Cruz.  I attended the Evergreen Police Academy in 2003 and have worked for the Santa Cruz Police Department as a police officer for the past 8 years.  During that time I’ve worked as a patrol officer, hostage negotiator, a downtown foot and bicycle officer, an agent at the county drug task force, and as a Detective.  

What is your favorite restaurant and view spot in Santa Cruz?

Detective Butler: A morning bun rolled in sugar at Kelly’s Bakery on Swift and Ingalls is my favorite bakery experience.  Ristorante Avanti on Mission St. is my favorite local restaurant.   I like the view at night of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk while riding the Fireball roller coaster.

Why do you like working in Santa Cruz?

Detective Butler: I enjoy living and working in Santa Cruz because one can enjoy the ocean, the mountains, interesting people, and a healthy lifestyle all in one spot.  

What is your most memorable case?
Detective Butler: Solving criminal cases with the community’s help and participation is the most fulfilling aspect of police work.  We are here to serve the residents of the City of Santa Cruz and make this a safe place to live and raise families.  Keep up the good work calling us with crime tips and be good witnesses for your neighbors and we can all create a safe city together.
Outside of solving crimes, what are your hobbies?
Detective Butler: In my free time I enjoy hiking and walking on our local mountain trails and beaches, cooking, and spending time with my family