The improvements made to the Droid app include changes to the scanner feed and the addition of Facebook and Twitter - all will be available soon as an update to the iPhone app. Nearly 10,000 local residents have downloaded the iPhone app. "We are proud to be recognized for creating a statewide model for enhancing communications and facilitating transparency,” mobilePD CEO Kushyar Kasraie said. “We believe technology can play a significant role in building stronger communities."
The mobile app will provide access to the police department's scanner feed, online crime maps, videos, photos, Facebook, Twitter and departmental blog. In addition, consumers will be able to submit crime tips from their mobile phone and view Nixle alerts.
- Tips: Provide crime tips right from your mobile phone
- Maps: View real-time crime maps of activity occurring in your community
- News: Get the latest news written directly by the Chief, department officers and staff
- Video: Watch videos from our SCPD YouTube channel
- Photos: View SCPD's most wanted and browse through albums of images from recent police events
- Alerts: View trusted, instant alerts directly from Santa Cruz Police (integrated with Nixle)
- Scanner: Wondering why the police are in your neighborhood? The live scanner feed will tell you
- Social Media: View our Facebook and Twitter feed
Late last year the Santa Cruz Police Department won the Helen Putnam Award of Excellence from the League of California Cities for the iPhone app. The award was for technological innovations and the department was the only law enforcement agency in the state to be selected. The development of the app comes on the heels of other Santa Cruz Police web-based systems including Nixle, online crime reporting and the crime mapping service.