May 18, 2011

Get to Know New Sergeant Arnold Vasquez!

Just two short days after being promoted we sat down with newly minted Sgt. Arnold Vasquez to ask him some questions. Sgt. Vasquez, a statewide recognized gang expert, accomplished investigator and most recently School Resource Officer had the following to say so you can "get to know your SCPD better."

What is your favorite local restaurant?

Sgt. Vasquez: My favorite restaurant is Engfer Pizza Works in Seabright. They have an outstanding neighborhood atmosphere and their wood-fired pizza is on the money!

49ers or Raiders? Giants or A’s?

Sgt. Vasquez: Raiders!! (Just don’t hold it against me!). And without question, the WORLD Champion San Francisco Giants!

What is your favorite thing about working for Santa Cruz Police?

Sgt. Vasquez: One of the best parts about working for SCPD is the opportunity to work in a variety of assignments. We are allowed to do so many interesting things here that let us grow personally and professionally. But that’s not what you asked. My FAVORITE part about working here is that everyone here knows each other, from the Chief to the newest officer.  There is a strong bond here and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. We are truly a family.

What is the most memorable case you worked or arrest you made?

Sgt. Vasquez: My most memorable case was when I arrested a suspect who had kidnapped a teenage girl from Orinda.  The suspect had broken into the victim’s house in the middle of the night, kidnapped the girl after he had tied up her parents and later told investigators that he had plans to kill her.  This was truly a horrific crime. I was a brand new officer, working on my own for only two months, and at the time I didn’t have the experience to understand the gravity of this case.  But, as time has gone on I’ve been able to reflect on how important it was that this arrest was made. We owed it to that victim and her family to make this arrest.  I’m glad I was at the right place at the right time.

Name a hobby (other than arresting law breakers):

Sgt. Vasquez: I love to play golf.  I just wish I didn’t have to hit the ball so many times.