July 21, 2011

Get to Know Community Service Officer Jenna Wilson!

Community Service Officer (CSO) Jenna Wilson is part of an extremely dedicated and successful team that addresses crime and quality of life issues downtown. Wondering what the difference between a CSO and officer is?  A CSO serves a vital role in the SCPD structure. CSOs are non-sworn positions that issue municipal code violations, take police reports, perform evidence processing and investigations and report criminal code violations to sworn officers. CSO Wilson is a familiar face downtown and we thought you may want to get to know her better!

Tell us about your favorite spot in Santa Cruz

CSO Wilson: My favorite spot in Santa Cruz is actually at the end of the wharf. I love to sit out there on a sunny day, get a shrimp cocktail from Stagnaros and just admire the ocean and the Boardwalk. I grew up hearing stories from my grandparents about the good ole days of Santa Cruz and the slow pace and friendly people out there remind me of that and how lucky I am to live here.

Word on the street is you're a sports fan. Giants or A's? 49ers or Raiders? 

CSO Wilson: I grew up a big Giants and 49ers fan. About 10 yrs ago I was working at Longs and I actually got to ring up Joe Montana and his wife, of course it was a huge deal!

Favorite TV Shows? Favorite Movies?

CSO Wilson: My current favorite TV shows are Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead and Modern Family. I am a huge nerd when it comes to 80’s movies, especially Ghostbusters. I can recite the majority of the movie, which is why you probably wouldn’t want to watch it with me!

What is the best part about working for Santa Cruz Police?

CSO Wilson: The best part of working for SCPD is that I get to be outside, work with great people and the job never gets boring!

Alright, a little about your background. Where did you go to school? What other positions have you held? 

CSO Wilson: I’m a graduate of Soquel High and California State University Fresno, with a degree in Linguistics. I worked in retail for 10 yrs, as a communications dispatcher for the Fresno County Sheriff’s Department and as a CSO I’ve been assigned to the Parks Unit, Downtown Unit, Investigations and recently completed Field Training Officer School.

When you're not in Santa Cruz where do you like to vacation?
             
 CSO Wilson: Jamaica, ya mon!