July 6, 2011

Get to Know Police Volunteer Jill Cavanaugh!


Our department initiated a full-scale volunteer program this year and the response has been overwhelming. Run out of the Community Services Section, the police volunteer program affords an opportunity to experience all facets of police work up close. We know that in order to be successful, a strong sense of unity and shared purpose must exist between your police and the community. Our police volunteers continue to connect the Santa Cruz Police Department with the community we serve. One such wonderful volunteer is Jill Cavanaugh. We sat down with Jill so you can learn more about one of the dedicated volunteers that is helping keep our community safe!  

What made you want to volunteer with the Santa Cruz Police Department? 

Jill: Part personal interest and part wanting to be involved with the community I live in.


Tell us a little about your background. 

Jill: I’ve lived in many difference cities all over the Bay Area but always end up back in Santa Cruz.  As far as work goes I thought that owning my own business would be ideal.  In my mid 20’s I owned small retail clothing boutique where I was the only employee. I totally underestimated the responsibility. It was an expensive lesson... I ended up selling the business and took a loss! I have a whole new respect for business owners. 

What is the coolest thing you’ve done during your tenure at the PD? 

Jill: Working with the predictive policing program.  It’s such a great concept.  I find it fascinating!

      What are your favorite TV shows?

Jill : TV- I try to catch the news but I watch some real junk: Celebrity Rehab, Dexter, and most recently True Blood.  (It’s embarrassing I know!)
What one thing have you learned that surprised you about law enforcement work? 

Jill: How totally normal and down to earth everyone is.  Oh yeah and they do have a sense of humor! 

What is your favorite restaurant in Santa Cruz? 

Jill: I’m a vegan so… Malabar or Asana.  Depends on what kind of mood I’m in.  

Lastly, what 5 songs do you have on your iPod right now?
    
Jill: I’ll give you not what but who: Lenny Kravitz, Moby, Queen, Adele, Katy Perry.  I like to mix it up.