In all, our Traffic officers gave 70 citations for drivers texting or using their cell phone while driving.
Here are some facts from the state OTS:
- 80 percent of vehicle crashes involve some sort of driver inattention.
- Up to 6,000 people nationwide are killed in crashes where driver distractions are involved.
- Talking on a cell phone or texting is the number one source of driver distractions.
- Texting takes your eyes off the road for an average of five seconds, far enough to travel the length of a football field at 55 mph. Most crashes happen with less than 3 seconds reaction time.
- Last year, California law enforcement wrote 475,000 texting and cell phone tickets.
- California is one of 35 states that bans texting while driving