- Calls for Service - The Santa Cruz Police responded to 467 calls for service on July 4th. Between the hours of 4:00 pm and 12:45 am, SCPD patrol and the special detail teams handled 288 calls for service. Out of those 288 calls, 104 were fireworks related.
- 1 Felony Arrest
- 7 Fireworks Arrests – Fireworks possession and discharging fireworks.
- 5 Misdemeanor Arrests- Most misdemeanor arrests were for being drunk in public.
- 58 Infractions Citations Issued- Majority of the citations were for open container.
- 41 Triple Fine Citations- Citations were mostly alcohol and fireworks related.
- 15 Traffic citations
Both Eastside and Westside neighborhoods were impacted by incidents of fireworks violations. All available Santa Cruz Police resources were in service throughout our community. Officers responded directly to areas where aerial fireworks were seen and reported.
Cases of Interest
17S-05367: SCPD Officer was in the vicinity of the 500 block of Palm Street when he witnessed subjects launch a large aerial firework. Diego Cruz Alvarez was cited and released for possession of Dangerous Fireworks. Several pounds of fireworks were confiscated. 17S-05378: Several officers were dispatched to Seabright Avenue and Windsor Street regarding a hit and run accident. The driver of a Toyota sedan crashed into a parked van. The suspect driver of the vehicle crashed and fled on foot. SCPD Officers responded and quickly located Jack Waldman on Frederick Street. Mr. Waldman, 18 years old, was arrested for DUI and hit and run charges.