June 9, 2011

Learn More About Detective Katrina Rogers

Detective Katrina Rogers has one of the most difficult assignments at the Police Department: sex crimes. But over the last year her hardwork has led to some significant arrests - arrests we can say, without question, have made our community a safer place. We sat down with her to ask a few questions... this is your chance to "get to know a SCPD detective" better.

Tell us about your favorite movies.

Detective Rogers: I can’t resist a Jackie Chan movie.  I also love foreign and independent films such as “Ma Vie en Rose” and “Everything is  Illuminated”.

When you’re not watching Jackie Chan, where are you eating in Santa Cruz?

Detective Rogers:  My favorite restaurant is Lillian’s Italian Kitchen on Soquel Avenue.  The atmosphere is comfortable and friendly.  The food is outstanding.   My favorite cup of coffee is CafĂ© Bene on Cedar Street (ok their scones are killer too).  I love the folks who work there and truly enjoy running into the regular crowd while grabbing a cup of Bene Decaf.

What is your favorite thing about working for SCPD?

Detective Rogers:  I love working for Santa Cruz Police Department because it gives me a chance to be part of my community.  I previously worked in the private sector commuting to San Jose.  Living and working in Santa Cruz allows me to build local relationships and give back to the area that I call home.

What is the most memorable case you’ve worked on?

Detective Rogers: My biggest arrest was the March 2011 arrest of Elvis Garcia for The Kind Grind sexual assault.  It took three years to get a break on the case through a Familial DNA hit.  The ensuing investigation consumed the next several months of both my personal and professional life.  The California Department of Justice Bureau of Intelligence and Investigations was awesome to work with on this case.  They are such a professional group of individuals dedicated to helping smaller agencies such as SCPD succeed in these types of cases.  My hat goes off to the California Department of Justice Bureau of Forensic Science Jan Bashinski DNA Laboratory.  The scientists at this DNA laboratory worked tirelessly to assist us with the DNA analysis on this case.

Giants (even without Posey) or A’s? Why?

Detective Rogers: Giants.  My husband is a big fan.

Tell us a little about your professional background.

Detective Rogers:  I graduated from San Jose State University with a BS in International Business.  After 13 years in the private sector I switched careers and came to work for SCPD.  I attended the Gavilan Police Academy in 2003.  I worked patrol as an East Beat Coordinator until the Fall of 2006 when I came to work in the Investigations Bureau.  While I primarily investigate Sexual Assault cases I have also investigated several large embezzlement cases as well as numerous homicides.