July 12, 2011

Learn More About Lt. Mark Sanders!

One of the most difficult, and high profile, positions in any police department is the commander of the Investigations Division. Lt. Mark Sanders has capably handled this positions for the last few years and overseen significant investigations; including the harbor sexual assault, homicides and more. It's a difficult position, but Lt. Sanders has brought a new vision to the division. We wanted to provide you some more information on him - a behind the scenes look at Lt. Sanders!

We've been told you're a food connoisseur. So what are your favorite restaurants?

Lt. Sanders. My favorite restaurants are The Mint in Scotts Valley for hot dogs and carrot cake and the Acapulco in Santa Cruz for good food at a good price.  

We've heard that you like to have music in your office while you work. Name five songs on my Ipod 

Lt. Sanders: Sweet Child of Mine by Guns and Roses, Follow Me by Uncle Kracker, Where the Streets Have No Name and I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For by U2, Mama’s Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys by Willie Nelson.

When you're not investigating cases what TV shows or movies are you watching? 

Lt. Sanders: My favorite TV shows are Pawn Stars and most things on the Discovery or History channel. I think West Wing was one of the best TV shows ever made. My favorite movies are Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Heartbreak Ridge, The Quiet Man, To Sir With Love, McLintock, and pretty much anything with Clint Eastwood, Sidney Poitier, Spencer Tracy, Carey Grant, or John Wayne.

What is the most memorable arrest you've made or case you've worked?

Lt. Sanders: By far, the most memorable case is the Elvis Garcia case (Yacht Harbor sexual assault)

What do you find to be the best part about working for the Santa Cruz Police Department?

Lt. Sanders: The best part is I work with a lot or really good people that truly care. There is a camaraderie here that you do not have at a lot of other places. Most of the people that have left this department and gone other departments have told me that they miss that most about this place. 

How about football. 49'ers or Raiders? 

Lt. Sanders: My favorite teams are Raiders then 49’ers (in that order). I have always thought it was crazy that you have to pick one team over the other. It is only an issue once or twice a year when they play each other. They rest of the time they are both local teams why not cheer for both of them?


A little about your background. Where you went to school - what positions have you held at SCPD?

Lt. Sanders: I went to high school at Poway High in southern California and then went to Cabrillo College. I have been a training officer, traffic officer and detective. I was a traffic officer during the 1989 earthquake in Santa Cruz. As a sergeant I did patrol, downtown, and community services. As a sergeant I was the supervisor in charge of the firearms team and the field training program.  As a lieutenant I was patrol watch commander and am currently the investigations commander. I was the manger of the field training program when I was patrol watch commander and currently the manager of the firearms team. As a lieutenant I was instrumental in getting Tasers for the Santa Cruz Police Department.

How about your favorite vacations spots and hobbies?

Lt. Sanders: Maui, San Diego, Palm Springs, any place with good golf courses and warm weather. My hobbies are simple: weightlifting and golf.

The last question is a car question. Ford, Chevy or Toyota? 

Lt. Sanders: Chevy, I have always like Chevy’s. I have owned Toyotas and Fords. They have done well for me, but I am a Chevy man. They have done the best for me overall!