March 13, 2014

False Report Leads to a SWAT Response and School Lock Down

Yes - We know we caused a scene around the circle streets today, but it was protocol due to the serious nature of the initial report.   Our #1 priority is to ensure your safety and protect any potential victims.  At the end of the day, it was a false report, but we're not about to gamble with your safety.....or ours!   

On March 13, 2014, at 2:10 PM, Santa Cruz Police Officers responded to a report of a shooting that occurred in an apartment at 510 Errett Circle.  The caller reported a male and female were arguing in an adjacent apartment and that the argument ended with the male shooting the female.  The caller further reported the male was outside the apartment building with the handgun.

Arriving officers located the caller who was later identified as Mr. Kyle Lee Allala. A current booking photo was not available at the time I wrote this, so this picture is an old booking photo from a 2012 arrest.

While the initial responding officers were trying to get further information, Mr. Allala suffered a medical seizure and was transported by ambulance to Dominican Hospital, further complicating our a lot!!!

Meanwhile, officers established a perimeter around the neighborhood and began searching for the reported gunman.  A City Watch (reverse 9-1-1) call and Nixle Alert were sent to the neighborhood advising residents to shelter in place while police investigated.  A neighboring school at the Garfield Park Church was placed in lock-down while officers secured the area.

Because of the seriousness of the threat, the Santa Cruz Police Department activated our Emergency Services Unit Tactical team (SWAT) to assist in securing the area.  Several surrounding law enforcement agencies assisted in perimeter duties as well as a fixed-wing aircraft from the County Sheriff’s Office.

Officers located a 44 year old male who was reported as the gunman.  Once the reported gunman was located, the subsequent investigation quickly revealed that no shooting had occurred.  Basically, this poor guy had his afternoon ruined thanks to a delusional caller. 

Investigators also contacted the reported victim (the 33 year old girlfriend) and confirmed she was unharmed and not at the apartment.  It goes without saying that this couple should have some interesting dinner conversation tonight. 

Tactical team members completed a security sweep of the area to ensure no other victims or possible threats existed.

Once it was determined that no threat existed, roadways were opened, and the neighboring school was taken out of lock-down status.

Follow up investigation with the caller, Mr. Allala showed he was under the influence of narcotics.  Mr. Allala was arrested for being under the influence of narcotics and for making a false report of a crime/emergency, both misdemeanor offenses.

Holy Smokes....All in a day's work!