Lillian Norman, 30 years old from Santa CruzA SCPD Officer quickly located the woman matching the description walking nearby. Lillian Norman, 30 years old from Santa Cruz was contacted. In her hand was mail that belonged to a resident on Bixby Street.
Lillian Norman also had several warrants for her arrest in the system. When Ms. Norman was taken into custody, she had a syringe and needle loaded with heroin in her pocket.
She was arrested for mail theft, possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia.
In a separate case, Lillian Norman has been identified as the suspected mail thief from a video SCPD posted to social media and SCPD Blog. Video surveillance clearly captures a woman taking mail from a residential mailbox on Escalona Drive on 3/15/16. Here is the video we previously posted:
Since January of 2015, Lillian Norman has been arrested 7 times by SCPD for crimes that include Burglary, Drug Possession, Possession of Stolen Property, Theft, and Possession of Another Person's Identification. Ms. Norman is also a suspect in a number of other SCPD theft and burglary cases. Detectives are working to locate additional mail and stolen property that has been taken by Ms. Norman.
PROTECTING YOUR MAIL
Here's what you can do to protect your mail from thieves:
- Install a locking mailbox.
- Use the letter slots inside your Post Office for your mail, or hand it to a letter carrier.
- Pick up your mail promptly after delivery. Don’t leave it in your mailbox overnight.
- Mail thieves look for bank statements and credit card bills, which can be used to create counterfeit checks or fake identifications. Sign up for Online Banking and Paperless Statements, access your account, statements and history online.
- If you're expecting checks, credit cards, or other negotiable items, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your mail.
- If you don't receive a check or other valuable mail you're expecting, contact the issuing agency immediately.
- Don’t send cash in the mail.
- Tell your Post Office when you’ll be out of town, so they can hold your mail until you return.